So, you just finished painting your home, and you have quite a bit of paint leftover…now what? Well, no need to worry, you have several different options to put that leftover paint to good use. Take a look at some of the ideas below.
1. Try painting any exterior home accents you may have such as decorative art, outdoor funiture, pots, etc. Get creative, but remember to consider the surface you will be painting in order to insure the paint will adhere to that particular surface. The extra paint you have could work perfectly for some random artwork or project that you've been wanted to create. Several of our college students use it on old pong or coffee tables to spruce up their living room.
2. You can also save leftover paint for any touch-ups you may have to make in the future. If stored correctly, paint can last for several years. This may come in handy several years down the road.
3. With lighter shades of leftover paint, don’t be afraid to use it as a base coat for another project. This is especially useful if you will be painting over a darker color. The leftover paint, however, should be lighter than the top coat you will be applying.
4. If you have several different colors leftover, consider mixing two of them to create a new color. It is important, however, to only mix paints of the same composition. For example, water-based paint can only be mixed with another shade of water-based paint. Also, make sure not to mix interior paint with exterior paint as they are made for different types of surfaces.
5. Paint can also be retinted. This is best for lighter shades. Simply take your leftover paint to the paint store, choose your new color, and have the paint retinted to match your new choice.
6. Consider recycling your leftover paint. You can easily locate paint recycling centers online. These establishments accept your leftover paint and mix different colors together, which is then sold at a reduced price.
With a little bit of creativity or a bit of time, you can take your leftover paint and put it to good use!
If you need any ideas or are looking to dispose of the paint you have at your home, please do not hesitate to give your local Rep a call and they will point you in the right direction!